A Postcard From: Marina Herbst ’19

Name: Marina Herbst
Major: Political Science/ Philosophy
Hometown: Chicago

Internship Placement: Agent Publishing LLC
Job Title: Marketing Intern
Location: Chicago

My internship at Agent Publishing has been sales and marketing focused. Every day consists of advertising and content creation for AgentEDU’s webpage and social media outlets. Within this space, I advertise to agents and sellers in the real estate market, as well as any individual looking for advice on how to find the right agents for their own personal home search. Furthermore, AgentEDU’s courses cater towards those seeking out professional guidance on how to become more successful as an agent or real estate assistant. Thus far, my supervisor allots a project every day or every two days, depending on the size of the project. In addition to content creation and creative copy assignments, I have also taken several courses online, learning about various marketing tools that use data analytics such as Google AdWords as well as managing programming and coding behind Facebook and other social media sites.

Attending a liberal arts college where business and marketing classes are not an option, I use my summers to seek out internships that will be able to further my knowledge of marketing and advertising for future career opportunities. Furthermore, growing up in a downtown neighborhood of Chicago where architecture is huge and unique, housing developments and real-estate have always interested me. My grandfather also works in housing development and real estate, and my entire life I had the opportunity to observe the process of real estate development and how much time, energy and patience is required in buying, selling, developing, and improving old buildings. While this company is not a real estate development firm, it does operate as a third-party company that works directly with real estate agents. Through this experience of working in a real estate company in Chicago, I hope to learn not only a new field of business that I have had a sufficient affinity for, but also to relish the opportunity of having an internship in my hometown, a place I wish to live and potentially grow in my career.

What is something you have learned from your internship that you didn’t expect?

Something I have learned from this internship that was unexpected was regarding data analytics and the overwhelming importance it has in determining consumer trends on not only the digital front but also on the personal level. When managing a website for a company. it is imperative to use Google Analytics to determine your website’s traffic levels. By learning how to measure site traffic, ad performance and conversions, I was able to properly tackle marketing projects more effectively. Through the various lessons I become proficient in understanding traffic reports, tracking engagement by learning how to read behavior reports, as well as how to use site content reports that caters toward a more in-depth analysis of consumer trends.

Can you give us three adjectives and three nouns that describe your internship experience?

• Adjectives: Creative, Beneficial, and Informative
  • Nouns: Real Estate, Content Creation, Communication